Volunteer Development Specialist
Reports to: Manager of Volunteer Development
- Manage the volunteer in-take process for region
- Willing and able to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Process all documents, including applications, background check authorizations, volunteer agreements, and conduct reference checks
- Process criminal background checks and prepare related reports
- Work closely with membership department re status of volunteers
- Integrate and update files and information on volunteers
- Upgrade process as new systems become available
- Assist in preparing training calendars, processing training registrations and related communications
- Assist in preparing course materials
- Assist in set up of class room(s)
- Manage physical and electronic files for department
- Provide customer service to operational volunteers
- Assist with recruitment and placement of non-troop volunteers
- Support department with projects as needed
- Non-smoking work environment
Experience/Education (minimum required): Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent. Two-three years direct volunteer management and development experience.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Excellent organizational skills, detail-oriented, and able to multi-task
- Strong computer skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Good problem solving skills and ability to contribute alternative solutions
- Cheerfully disposition with strong customer service skills
- Able to interact professionally with staff and volunteers
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Able to lift and carry 25 lbs
- Able to travel occasionally between service centers and HQ (downtown LA)
- Valid driver’s license, auto insurance and dependable car.
Please send resume with salary expectations and cover letter to: email@example.com. Put job code “Volunteer Development Specialist, Montclair” in subject line.
Volunteer Development Manager
Location: Montclair Service Center
Reports to: VP, Volunteer Development
1. Develop, implement, and oversee all components of an efficient and effective Volunteer-Management System for volunteers in all pathways and capacity building roles: recruit and engage, gather information, screen and interview, appoint, prepare and support, recognize, and evaluate and reengage (or excuse) as appropriate.
2. Conduct a volunteer needs assessment survey in coordination with GSGLA’s annual planning processes to determine volunteers needed to ensure sustainability and growth.
a. Build volunteer capacity and engagement via collaboration with Membership & Program.
b. Build volunteer capacity and engagement via collaboration with Product Program, Shops, Administration, External Relations and other departments.
3. Work in partnership with all departments to identify and create volunteer roles with clear accountabilities and needed skills sets.
4. Match the skills, experiences and interests of volunteers with the needed skill sets and accountabilities within each department (i.e. “the right person for the right position”)
5. Oversee the Council’s efforts to “open doors” for the recruitment of new volunteers from diverse and emerging populations – use multiple innovative strategies and methodologies to reach adults volunteers.
6. Represent Girl Scouts in the community to foster interest in volunteer opportunities, increase visibility and identify potential funders and friends.
7. Regularly communicate volunteer opportunities with all active and inactive volunteers to support re-engagement in the same or new roles.
8. Participate in the development of council goals, budgets, and risk management systems and policies as they relate to the Volunteer-Management System.
SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum three to five years’ experience in volunteer management with demonstrated understanding of effective volunteer management/customer service practices.
- Prior Scouting experience a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, databases, e-mail, Internet applications, and research essential.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and analytical skills, ability to plan, manage multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize, meet deadlines and ensure responsiveness in all customer interactions.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to achieve results in partnership with others.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with the ability to communicate clearly.
- Valid California drivers license, vehicle in working condition, proof of insurance.
- Ability to fulfill timely and extensive travel requirements across widespread regional geography. Including occasional evenings and weekends.
- Able to pass a criminal background check.
Please send resume with salary expectations and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Put job code “Volunteer Development Manager, Montclair” in subject line.